I had been putting half my paycheck away since the beginning of the school year so we would have a good chunk of money and not need a loan to get a car.
There had been a few cars that we almost bought but got sold before we made our final decision and then a corolla towards the end that we almost got, but it worked out we didn't, because it desperately needed new tires and was already at our max spending limit. Also, we didn't realize that when you buy a car from someone you need to pay sales tax at the DMV when you transfer the title and so thank goodness the car we ended up with was less than we had anticipated on spending. Now I still have a little back-up funds and I have time to rebuild our emergency funds before we have a major need (like tires!).
We finally ended up with a 2012 Suzuki SX4 with only 36,000 miles on it! I know, it seems like we must've spent a lot to get a newer car with few miles, but it was actually the cheapest of all the ones we looked at ($4500) because it has hail damage. There are little dents all over the hood and the roof of the car, and so it has a selvage title. Honestly, I don't really care what the car looks like as long as it meets our needs and I think it works great. It gets good gas mileage, will hopefully last us for years to come, and I don't even think it looks bad! Taylor really wants to fix the hood at least, but I don't really think it's a big deal. I'm just excited to have a 4-door car to put the baby seat in, so I don't have to straddle the stick shift in the front seat of a cramped bench-seat truck with my baby on the passenger side! YAY!
We were excited to see what $4500 in cash feels like!!


No comments:
Post a Comment