On Tuesday, we toured around "Old Town." It is a cool area that shows many historic sites and restored buildings and shops. The shops and area are supposed to look and feel like San Diego did historically. Also, this is where the Mormon Battalion is and I didn't take any pictures the first time we went because it was dark, so I took some this time. At the end of the tour they have this area to show you how to make bricks and mine for gold.
Today, Wednesday, Mom, Taylor and I all went on a tour of the USS Midway. It is an aircraft carrier that has been turned into a museum. Unfortunately, Jimmy couldn't come with us because he has the flu and has been staying at home and resting.
The Midway is HUGE! There was really no way to get the whole ship in one picture.
Those poor guys on the ship were CRAMMED together. Although, this is the tightest area. There is another area for officers and others who rank higher that are much nicer.
These are the ships anchors. We are wearing headphones in all the pictures because they have a free "audio tour" where there are signs that let you type in a number and then you can listen to some information and background. I remember listening about these chains that hold the anchors. Each link weighs 140lbs! And when they are getting pulled into the water they are moving through this room 50-60mph! I couldn't believe it.
Here is a little bit bigger bunk - I can't remember what the difference was in rank or job that determined where they got to sleep. This area was still crowded though, and it supposedly got really stinky with all the guys and their dirty shoes and clothes in such tight space. yummmmm. :)
The ship had a bunch of different dining areas and mess halls. They said that carry millions of pounds of food because the ship feeds so many men, and there were no rations; they could eat as much as they wanted and always come back for more.
We also saw the "brig" (jail), the "sick bay" and the dental area. There was so much everywhere and it felt like a big maze of hallways and little rooms.
On the flight deck they had tons of different airplanes and helicopters on show. However, I had to take a picture of this A6 because Jimmy had us look for it before we left. He said he actually flew THIS exact plane before! How cool!
The view from the flight deck to the surrounding area.















No comments:
Post a Comment